OSWEGO, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Oswego Common Council passed a resolution to suspend the International Joint Commission’s Lake Ontario management plan. They say the plan has been hurting the Port City, causing over $7 million in damages.
But what does the city want in place of Plan 2014?
Along with the common council, we’ve heard from people living along the Lake Ontario shoreline for the past few years who say the “old plan” was just fine. Steady days of rain are not what city leaders or residents are pointing to for flooding. Instead, it’s the already high lake level.
Mayor Billy Barlow says the city’s resolution is a message to the IJC to suspend the plan. He says it’s likely the IJC never predicted the plan would do this much damage when they drafted and implemented it
“For three years, we’ve been dealing with this now. Two of the years, we’ve had severe flooding along the lake and it’s causing a substantial amount of damage. We’ve suffered about $7 million worth of damage so far. That estimate is probably increased substantially in the last two weeks. So, I don’t think anybody knew, including the IJC, exactly how much damage this Plan 2014 would cause,” Barlow said.
The Oswego Common Council unanimously passed the resolution Monday night, sending it to the IJC to take action and suspend Plan 2014.
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9