On The Lookout fugitive turns herself in after more than two years on the run


ONONDAGA COUNTY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — You can up the count at our fugitive tracker OntheLookout.net, but number 448, took a while.

Cora Clavel turned herself in to authorities Wednesday morning.

Sgt. Mike Norton who runs the Fugitve Task Force for the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office tells NewsChannel 9, “I did have one of the booking deputies speak to her and ask her where she had been and she said everywhere.”

We first put you On the Lookout for Cora Clavel in December of 2017. Sheriff’s detectives say Cora and Mauricio Clavel were scam artists, ripping off a couple through a Craigslist ad by selling a house they didn’t even own.

They were accused by detectives of taking $3,000 as a down payment and then fleeing with the money.

They also are accused by police of taking their young daughter along with them.

Prior to this incident the girl had been removed from the Clavel home by Child Protective Services and placed with an aunt, but Norton says they went by the aunt’s house and picked up the girl shortly before taking off.

“We don’t like it when we can’t find somebody so you kinda get that pitbull mentality where it starts to become personal and I think that’s what it did for some of my guys,” Norton says.

Mauricio Clavel turned himself in last March, about a month after being featured this February on our Nine Most Wanted segment with the Onondaga County Sheriff’s office. He told detectives he had split with Cora.

It was the Clavel’s second time making the list.

Cora Clavel showed up at the Onondaga County Justice Center on Wednesday morning to turn herself in to detectives. She was with her 11-year-old daughter.

Norton says, “When she turned herself in this morning at the Justice Center she did indicate she was constantly looking behind her back and it just got really old and she turned herself in.”

The Fugitive Task Force believes Cora was hiding out much of the time in the Buffalo and Niagara Falls area where she has family.

Sgt. Norton credits NewsChannel 9’s On the Lookout segment and the station’s viewers for putting the pressure on Cora to turn herself in.

“Because she’s been aired on Channel 9 several times the pressure was on and it finally got to her,” he says.

The girl, as of this morning, was in the custody of Child Protective Services.

Clavel was arraigned Thursday and then released on her own recognizance. She is due to appear back in court on July 9 before Judge Thomas at 1:30 p.m. She was also issued a 6 month order of protection.

For more local news, follow Jeff Kulikowsky on Twitter @JeffNC9

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Live Doppler 9 Map Center

CNY View

CNY View

CNY View

Oswego Area

Oswego Area

Syracuse Area

Syracuse Area