TOWN OF GEDDES, NY (WSYR-TV) — New York State Fair Director Troy Waffner says he’s an “optimistic person, but when reality set in, reality set in.”
He of course is referring to when it became clear there would be no 2020 fair because of the COVID-19.
Waffner and his staff had a big job ahead of them in 2020, coming up with the exhibits, vendors, entertainment, food, and more to cover an 18-day-long fair that will get people to come, and come again.
But while the team was planning for a longer fair, the nation was hit with a shutdown of most mass gatherings, as well as schools, businesses.
It was something Waffner hoped would be a passing storm.
More State Fair Coverage:
- Paul Basilio from Basilio Sausage dies at 92
- Phase two of Orange Lot access improvement project complete at NYSF
- NYS Fair 2020 butter sculpture recycled at Western New York farm
- Voting Now Open: NewsChannel 9 team debuts “Sweet ‘N’ Salt Shake” in State Fair virtual milkshake contest
- Pizze Fritte marks untraditional 60th year being part of the NYS Fair
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9