SYRACUSE, NY (WSYR-TV)-
Different types of weather
CNY is a unique location that can see various types of weather. While lake effect snow season is over, the potential for thunderstorms, flooding and tornadoes is ramping up. For a refresher on severe weather terms, click here.
Taking action BEFORE the storm
The best way to prepare for severe weather is to have a plan!
- Have the Live Doppler 9 app downloaded to your phone.
- Know your county.
- Have the alerts turned on for your area. If you do this, any severe weather alert will be sent to your phone as soon as the alert is issued.
- Have a discussion with your family. Make sure everyone knows how/where to evacuate or to take shelter in the case of a tornado or flood. Have an emergency meeting place outside of the home. Quiz the kids! Make sure everyone knows the plan you have in place before severe weather strikes.
- Check/replenish emergency supplies such as flashlights, first aid kit, non-perishable food, water, extra batteries, garbage bags, can opener.
- Keeps trees/branches trimmed near your house. If you have time before severe weather strikes, secure loose items outside.
Taking action DURING the storm
This is the time to act quickly and put your plans in place.
- Continue to listen to local news to stay updated on the weather.
- Go to your secure location (center of the home, away from windows).
- If you’re outside, go inside a sturdy building immediately. Avoid being near trees, sheds and storage facilities. When thunder roars, go indoors.
- Being in a car is safer than being outside, but you should drive to the closest secure shelter if there’s enough time.
Taking action AFTER the storm
- Continue to listen to local news until you know the severe threat is over.
- Contact your family, loved ones and neighbors. Let them know you are OK and make sure they are OK.
- Assess your property for any damage. Contact local authorities if you see power lines down.